Current versions of Safe Exam Browser for »Windows and for »Mac OS X.
Software extensions for supported Learning Management Systems: »Moodle
Safe Exam Browser 2.1 for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1
Download from new GitHub project site.
Safe Exam Browser 2.1 for Windows includes new features, usability, stability and security improvements:
- SEB 2.1 is the first Safe Exam Browser version featuring a touch optimized mode for Windows tablet computers.
- Buttons for restart exam, reload page, change keyboard layout and a display for the current time improve usability in exams.
- New feature which monitors processes and hinders all non-permitted applications to open, become active and display windows while SEB is running.
- Individual proxy settings, URL filters and server certificates can be used per exam.
- The SEB Config Tool has been re-engineered and now allows comfortable editing and testing of SEB configuration files.
- The SEB installer now updates an existing SEB installation automatically, so an older SEB version doesn't need to be uninstalled first.
- Updated browser engine to XULRunner/Gecko (Firefox) 38.0.6.
- Bug fixes include another bug which sometimes caused options in the Windows Security Screen (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) missing after quitting SEB, SEB sometimes didn't exit completely when quitting and installing SEB in an administrator (or other) account didn't set filetype for .seb config files correctly in another user account.
- SEB 2.1 can be used with the fault-tolerant mode Moodle quiz plugin, which allows to continue quizzes even if the internet connection to the Moodle server fails.
- Support for encrypted .seb setting files which allow to individually configure SEB per exam. The configuration is compatible with both the Windows and Mac version of SEB. Use the separate SEB Windows configuration tool to create .seb settings.
- Easier installation and initial configuration of a SEB client, which facilitates to use SEB for secure exams especially on unmanaged computers like students' own laptops, in BYOD scenarios.
- Feature to quit SEB after the exam is submitted by specifying a quit link and placing this on the summary page displayed by your LMS after submitting the exam.
- The Browser Exam Key allows an exam module to authenticate the connecting SEB version and its settings. Plug-ins offering this functionality have been released for the learning management systems Moodle and ILIAS, OpenOLAT from version 10.2 has built-in support.
- Configurable options (per exam) in the user interface: Size and positioning of browser windows (main window with the quiz and additional browser windows) can be preset. The SEB main browser window can be displayed full screen or as a sizable and movable window.
- Flash, Java and other browser plugins can be used if necessary.
- Permitted third party applications are easy to start and to switch to (autostart together with SEB and by clicking on its icon in the SEB task bar). Prohibited processes and applications can be defined which are closed when SEB starts up.
- PrintScreen can be blocked, the clipboard is cleaned when SEB is started and stopped. The desktop wallpaper is hidden (in Windows 8).
- Optional Wi-Fi control in SEB task bar allows to reconnect to known W-iFi networks.
- SEB pauses Windows Update and therefore prevents slowing down and sudden restarting of a machine during an exam.
- Screen saver and idle sleep are paused while SEB is running to prevent having to enter an screen unlock password before the exam starts.
SEB configuration editor for creating and modifiying .seb settings files for Safe Exam Browser:
- Allows to define all options for the Windows and Mac versions of SEB 2.x.
- Can save .seb files for individual configuration per exam and per exam client, which are protected by strong encryption against manipulation.
- Configuration files can configure a SEB exam client to show for example a portal page with the current exams.
- Configuration files can be used to start an exam with individual configuration (like specific security and user interface options, permitted third party applications, Browser Exam Key for authenticating these settings and the SEB application to an exam server, Quit Link to close SEB automatically when an exam is submitted etc.).
- Supports .seb files encrypted with password or X.509 (public/private key cryptography) certificates. For debugging purposes .seb configuration files can be saved unencrypted in an human readable XML format.
See release notes for all changes and read the updated manual which now covers all SEB 2.1 features.
Mac OS X
Safe Exam Browser 2.0 for Mac OS X 10.7 - OS X 10.10 Yosemite
Safe Exam Browser 2.0 for Mac OS X is a re-engineered, major update, including new features, superior usability and strongly improved security.
- Support for encrypted SEB setting files (file type .seb) which allow to individually configure SEB per exam. You can use the same .seb files for starting exams on SEB 2.0.x Windows clients and SEB 2.0 Mac OS X clients.
- Comfortable built-in editor for the platform-independent SEB configuration files, which can also set all additional individual settings for the Windows version.
- Note: Local client settings in the Preferences folder of the system (created with SEB version 2.0pre3 or earlier) are cleared when this new SEB version is started first time, you will have to configure SEB freshly. You can although save settings with SEB 2.0pre3 (before running SEB 2.0 first time) and reconfigure the SEB 2.0 client with these.
- SEB 2.0 also blocks the screenshot feature of OS X.
- SEB 2.0 features an optional dock/task bar displaying an icon for the SEB browser with controls for its open browser windows and a quit button.
- New feature to quit SEB after the exam is submitted by specifying a quit link and placing this on the summary page displayed by your LMS after submitting the exam.
- The Browser Exam Key allows an exam module to authenticate the connecting SEB version and its settings. Plug-ins offering this functionality have been released for the learning management systems Moodle and ILIAS.
- New options in the user interface: Size and positioning of browser windows (main window with the quiz and additional browser windows) can be preset. Main window can be displayed full screen. An indicator shows network activity.
- SEB can optionally display the standard OS X menu bar and a tool bar in browser windows, functions like 'About SEB', quit, open preferences, reload page, zoom text and browsing back/forward are therefore easier accessible (if desired).
- New URL filter including teaching mode to control access of the SEB browser to web links and resources. Saved settings files contain URL filter rules which also work in SEB 2.0.2 for Windows.
- Improved security and performance.
See release notes for complete list of new features and changes.
Learning Management Systems
Quiz mode patch for Moodle 2.3.x
This patch fixes the exam mode in Moodle 2.3.x used with Safe Exam Browser: The navigation links to other parts of the LMS are not displayed during an exam. The fix will be included in Moodle 2.4, below you can find short instructions (for Moodle administrators) how to apply the fix on Moodle 2.3 versions:
- Unpack the zip file.
- The additional patch code passages are starting with // Voma add start and ending with // Voma add end, they are situated almost at the end of the files.
- Since the attempt.php and summary.php files can slightly differ in varying Moodle 2.3.x versions, you should copy only the code between // Voma add start/end to the right spot into the two according files of a Moodle 2.3.x installation.